First Hike: Mt. Balagbag, Rizal (plus some tips for first time hikers)

Thursday, September 08, 2016


This is a long overdue post, so I really have no idea where to start writing. I guess I'll just have to go ahead and, whatever.

Last Valentine's Day, I went through my first mountain hike... technically. Carlo and I went crazy the day before, trying to search for different itineraries just to get the right directions, budget, and tips for first time hikers. The most ideal itinerary that we saw required us to go out of Pampanga very early in the morning. However, I had a Saturday class, which I also ended up skipping because I was waiting for something. What was that something?
Well, backtrack to a few days ago, I was making a Valentine's gift for my boyfriend. I wanted to surprise him by having it delivered through the mail. I had it shipped and my courier promised that it would arrive Saturday morning at the latest. That's what I was waiting for before heading off to our trip. The package came in at around 11 PM, so that messed up our itinerary, so we ended up not following it. 

So here's what happened.
Continue reading

We went to Dau Bus Terminal and rode a bus heading to Cubao. We asked the driver to drop us off at the bus terminal going to Tungko. He said the bus was going to pass just across GMA Station, so he dropped us off right there. We got caught in Manila traffic, so it was already 2PM when we rode an ordinary bus going to Tungko. That bus ride was crazy. It was like those movie scenes shot in India. The ride was bumpy and fast, and we had to stand up for like 10 minutes before most of the passengers got off and we were able to get a seat. 

We then arrived at Tungko. I actually didn't know where on earth that was, but I checked Google Maps and it said Bulacan. I have no idea how we ended up there because Mt. Balagbag is supposed to be in Rizal. I DON'T KNOW. Anyway, after that, we rode a jeep going to Licao-licao. We arrived there at around 5PM. We were commuting for 4-5 hours in total, but it wasn't so bad because everything was new and we had no idea where we're going. We felt like adventurers. 
We had to ride a tricycle going to the barangay hall to pay for the entrance fee, and that was also the starting point of our hike. There was only one tricycle available, and we arrived there with a lovely couple and their child, so we just went there together.
The couple was really kind to wait for us so that we wouldn't get lost along the way. They were ahead of us even though they were with a five year old kid. That kid could hike better than me. I had to stop a lot of times along the way because I easily get tired. I thought I was going to die LOL. My very macho boyfriend offered to carry my bag along with his bag and our tent.



The sun was already setting as we were hiking. I would look back as I try to catch my breath, and I'd see the tiny houses below starting to turn their lights on. By the time that we have reached the peak, it was already 6:30 PM, and the sky was a beautiful shade of blue. There were a lot of people camping that night since it was a weekend and it's Valentine's Day. The peak of Mt. Balagbag is very spacious, that's why people call at helipad. At least 20 tents could be pitched in there. Balagbag is perfect for camping, stargazing, and most of all, overlooking city lights. The cities surrounding the mountain are very visible. The view is breathtaking at night. Too bad I wasn't able to take a picture because I didn't have a decent camera with me.


The following day, I woke up to the sound of people murmuring, excitedly waiting for the sunrise. We got out of our tent, and we were welcomed by the cold morning breeze.


It was freezing in the morning, so Carlo and I took turns with the blanket. Haha. The sun was already up but we were still chattering from the cold.

The sunrise called for a photoshoot, so we did just that :P

This is the mountain cat. He was friendly until we gave him food and he got grumpy. The background looks kind of empty because people were already breaking off their camp by this time.


Carlo brought my gift with him because he couldn't wait to read it. It's a DIY book safe. I left a few pages in front so that I could make a black out poetry. I put in some pictures and tiny notes. I also made a tiny card that says "go to the mountains with me." Cheez.


The sun was already high up when we started descending. We were one of the last people to descend the mountain; people were breaking off camp as early as 6 AM. 


The good thing was that I didn't feel the heat of the sun. The cold morning breeze was still there.


Breath-taking


I don't know what this point is called, but there's a red gate here, and it's where the trail gets narrower (if you're ascending). We also had to pay another 15 (or 30?) pesos here before we could pass the gate. We weren't able to take photos the day before because it was already getting dark, so we took photos here before leaving.



I know how hard it is to be new at something and no one tells you what to do. So, here's a list of things that's essential when hiking and camping, aside from the obvious ones (like bringing a tent and cooking materials). 


First off, it's pitch black at night, and there's no electricity on top of the mountain, obviously, so don't forget to bring a flashlight! Second, if you're a neat freak and you couldn't function when you feel dirty, bring an alcohol so you could clean up when you've reached the peak. The most important of all is to bring a blanket and to wear jammies at night. It gets really, really cold at night, and even more so in the morning. The February weather was almost like summer, so we didn't expect it to be cold. By morning, my boyfriend was already freezing because he made a mistake of wearing shorts. Other things like alcohol, insect repellant, and slippers are optional; it's just to maximize comfortability. I recommend carrying a small sling bag and putting your essentials in it, like your phone and wallet, so that you could get it easily if you need it while hiking.

If you're a newbie, I recommend Mt. Balagbag for your first hike. For one, the trail is really easy that even a 4x4 truck could pass. Second, it's near Metro Manila. Third, it's budget friendly! Fourth, it's perfect for hiking and camping. Seriously, you'll be in awe when you see the cityscape at night. I'll definitely  be back, Mt. Balagbag.

BUDGET GUIDE
Breakdown of expenses:
Bus from Pampanga to Cubao (2 hours) - 112 pesos (student discount)
Bus from Cubao to Tungko (2 hours) - 40 pesos
Jeep from Tungko to Licao-licao (1 hour) - 30 pesos
Tricycle to Sitio Balagbag barangay hall (30 mins) - 30 pesos
Registration fee at barangay hall - 20 pesos
Registration fee at red gate - 30 pesos

Tricycle back to Licao-licao - 30 pesos
Jeep from Licao-licao to Tungko - 30 pesos
Bus from Tungko to Cubao - 40 pesos
Bus from Cubao to Pampanga - 118 pesos

Packed dinner and breakfast: tuna, bread, chips - 200 pesos

Total damage: 680 pesos/pax

You Might Also Like

5 comments

  1. I love these collages! // "I thought I was going to die LOL." HAHA I can relate to the emotions in this sentence. // I think you did a fine job capturing the beauty from up there! The colours <3 The mountains <3 // Aww that present was so sweet and thoughtful! :D -Audrey | Brunch at Audrey's

    ReplyDelete
  2. This story's a little scary as I have no experience hiking or camping... but you got some absolutely gorgeous pictures!

    7% Solution

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also felt that way before. I am in no shape at all for any activities that require strength, but I really wanted to try hiking for the magnificent view. Thanks, Aki!

      Delete
  3. Once you see that awesome view you'll really forget how tiring hiking could get! You've got beautiful photos here!

    ReplyDelete

follow on twitter

instagram